Hello, my name is Pete Kmet, and I would be honored to continue serving you as Tumwater’s Mayor. For the past 32 years I’ve called this beautiful city my home. It has been a great place for my wife Nancy and I to raise our two sons (Michael, 30, and Nicholas, 26), and I am running to ensure Tumwater remains a great place to raise a family.
My background is in civil and environmental engineering. I received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering from Norwich University and a Master of Science Degree in Environmental Engineering from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Today I am retired from the Washington State Department of Ecology, where I was a Senior Environmental Engineer. Before I was elected mayor, I served on the city council for 5 terms. I hope to have your vote for Tumwater Mayor in the November election!
1991 (left) and 2016 (right) Family Photos
“Pete’s environmental ethics is beyond reproach. He has been a key leader on many environmental issues in our community.” — Nicole Hill, Tumwater City Councilmember
“Pete has been an important mentor for me. His wealth of experience as Mayor has been invaluable.” — Andy Ryder, Lacey Mayor
“Pete has the judgement and temperament of a great leader. Tumwater is fortunate to have him as Mayor.” — Ralph Osgood, former Tumwater Mayor
“Pete Kmet’s leadership as Mayor of Tumwater shows exceptional knowledge, skill, and dedication to this community. He brings a clear and distinct vision to community stewardship and smart development.” — Lee Doyle, Tumwater Resident
“Pete’s decisions are deeply rooted in his experience as a neighborhood activist. He seeks out and values community input.” — Nancy Stevenson, Tumwater Planning Commission
“Pete has been a tremendous resource for my high school civics classes. His leadership in promoting Earth Day in Tumwater has helped my students learn that a lot can be accomplished if we all work together with the same goal.” — Carole Layton, BHHS Teacher
Earth Day at Tumwater’s Historical Park (left). Pete with Carole on Earth Day (Right).
Tumwater City Council Member for 18 years (1992 – 2010)
Mayor Pro-tem (Deputy Mayor) for 14 years (1996 – 2010)
Mayor of Tumwater for 7+ years (2010 to present)
- Chair, Tumwater City Council’s Budget and Finance Committee
- Tumwater Parks and Recreation Task Force
- Thurston Regional Council’s Transportation Policy Board
- Thurston Thrives Community Design Action Team
- Thurston Thrives Climate and Clean Energy Action Team
Past Committees (partial list):
- Joint Animal Services Commission (Chair)
- TRPC’s Urban Corridor Task Force (Co-Chair)
- Medic 1
- Thurston Region Visitor & Convention Bureau
- Appointed by Governor Gregoire as the Washington Cities representative on the Utility and Transportation Commission – Citizen’s Committee on Pipeline Safety (2005-2010)
- Citizen activist prior to being elected to City Council.
- Former Assistant Coach, youth soccer & baseball.
- My work in picking up roadside litter inspired our “adopt a road” program, with 15 groups now actively participating in litter removal from city streets.
- As Mayor I’ve participated in numerous community events including Stream-Team, Earth Day, Buddy Walk, Memorial Day & Veterans Day services, JBLM events, Lakefair, Tumwater’s 4th of July celebration, Tumwater’s Christmas Tree Lighting, Easter egg dash, Tumwater’s Youth Program, and many City and non-profit volunteer events.
- Former WFSE steward and current member of Retired Public Employees Council of Washington.
Tumwater Chamber Community Spirit Award to Pete Kmet. (2012)
Thurston County Chamber of Commerce Presidents Award to Pete Kmet and John Doan. (2012)
Native of Hinsdale, New Hampshire; resident of Tumwater for 32 years
Over 35 years of environmental engineering experience; recently retired as a Senior Environmental Engineer at the WA State Department of Ecology
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from Norwich University – a military college in central Vermont
Master of Science in Civil & Environmental Engineering from University of Wisconsin, Madison
Married 33 years to Nancy Kmet
Two adult children – Michael and Nicholas – raised in Tumwater
Residence and Contact Information:
Nancy and Pete live on lower Tumwater Hill – 434 C Street, SW, Tumwater, WA 98512
Home phone: 943-4550; Cell 485-2466
Paid for by: Citizens for Pete Kmet, 434 C ST SW, Tumwater, WA 98512